God is good all the time, and all the time God is good!

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Mother's Day

Since my child has decided to take the longest nap in history, I've decided to blog about an upcoming holiday: Mother's Day. 

So, what are your thoughts on this day? Do you expect your husband to give you something? I can understand wanting some recognition from your kiddos (when they're old enough to realize this day exists), but should your husband be expected to run out and get you something?

You're probably thinking, "Oh...she's setting us up so we won't think it's sad and pathetic that she wasn't showered with gifts from her husband on Sunday. We're supposed to believe she didn't want anything; yeah, right." Well, I hate to break it to you, but the hubs (in his half asleep state bc the night shift SUCKS) did ask me what I wanted. I honest to God couldn't think of anything. I mean, I already get to stay home every day with our child, while he works the most random shifts ever, and rarely gets adequate sleep, so...I need more presents? Really? I had planned to see a movie with a friend during Elena's Mother's Day Out so I told him that was good enough for me. 

Is that weird? Should I want him to sweat and stress over spending $ on something I don't need? I'm no Saint, I mean, I love presents, but not obligatory 'please don't be mad at me' ones. Spur of the moment stuff is more fun to me; random surprises. Anyone with me on that?

Besides, while I still have a mom (which is a huge blessing in itself), I want to make it about her. Yes, I'm a mom and moms are awesome and hard working, but I don't want to be the focus. I just don't. I do what I love every day, and that's a huge gift. My husband sacrifices a lot, and for me to say, "What are you getting me for Mother's Day?!" is just plain bratty. 

I have a healthy little girl, and a husband who puts himself last every day for us. He lives to make us happy. The only thing I want for Mother's Day is to see my mama, and to tell her how treasured and special she is to me. Presence, not presents; that's what this day is about. Hug your mama close while you still can. God bless!

2 comments:

  1. I think you are so mature to feel this way. As we grow older, we realize that the important things in life are free. Life's demands can pile up, but that doesn't matter. Laughter, love, family,...is what matters.
    The presence of love is all that we need. So all I need to do each day is love; love my husband, my girls, my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've always shown me what truly matters. I love you, Mama.

    ReplyDelete